Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
Think Like an Economist
An introduction to the big ideas in economics.
Think Like an Economist
Trailer: Introduction to Think Like An Economist
0. Why should you Think Like an Economist?
1. Core Principle 1 – The Cost-Benefit Principle
2. Core Principle 2 – The Opportunity Cost Principle
3. Core Principle 3 – The Marginal Principle
4. Core Principle 4 – The Interdependence Principle
Bonus: Should you go back to school?
Bonus: Juggling Work and Childcare During a Pandemic
5. The Law of Demand - How You Choose to Buy
6. Supply- Getting the Best Out of What You Sell
7. Equilibrium - Balance in a Busy World
8. Elasticity - What Will You Do When Prices Change?
9. When Governments Intervene - Taxes, Price & Quantity Regulations
10. Economic Surplus - Getting the Most out of Life
11. Gains From Trade - Why Ringo played the drums
12. International Trade - Cars from Corn
13. Externalities - The Full Cost of the Choices we make
14. The Labor Market - Live to Work, or Work to Live?
Bonus: Presidential Econ 101 - A To Do List
Bonus: A New Treasury Secretary - Who is Janet Yellen and what will she do?
15. Inequality - Understanding the Gap between Rich and Poor
16. Market Power - Why businesses charge more
17. Price Discrimination - Why some people pay less
18. Private Information - I Know Something You Don’t Know
Bonus: Thinking Big, Remembering Small - From Micro to Macro
19. Gross Domestic Product - Adding Up Everything We Do
20. Economic Growth - Improving our Lives
21. Unemployment - Does joblessness have to mean hopelessness?
22. Inflation - When money loses its value
Assignment: Spending and Saving
23. Consumption and Saving - Spend Now or Save to Spend Later
24. Investment - Upfront costs for future gains
25. The Financial Sector - Bonds, Stocks and Shares - should you or shouldn't you?
Himalaya Learning Membership
100+ Expert-Led Courses
Immediate access to our full, extensive library of audio courses, and new additions as they become available
Unlock an exclusive network of like-minded, intellectually curious people just like you
Got questions? We've got the answers
- What comes with each course?Courses on Himalaya Learning are designed to teach actionable skills to help you reach your potential. What you will get from the courses includes immersive curriculums, series of bite-sized lessons, course summaries, and curated resources.
- How long are the courses?Courses vary in length from 1 to 8 hours. Each course consists of lessons around 5 minutes each.
- How can I redeem a discount code?If you use an Android phone, you can apply the code at check out in the Himalaya app. If you use an iPhone, you can apply the code at www.himalaya.com